Serving February 4, 2015 - January 16, 2017

Serving February 4, 2015 - January 16, 2017

WRITE ME!

WRITE ME!

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Week 1 Mozambique

Tudo Bem,

I am not really sure how long it has been since I wrote last, and this whole last week has been a big blur.  Anyways, I left the Provo MTC last Monday morning and began the 10,000 mile journey to Africa.  A bus, three planes, three trains, and a chappa later I made it.  We landed about ten local time and went back to the Mission home with the AP's.  They gave me the best news that I have received since I left here, in that I was allowed to sleep as much as I wanted to.  I woke up around noon the next day with about 4 hours of sleep haha,  jet lag is the spawn of satan basically.  I got to meet the Office Elders that day, as well as the sisters in the Maputo district.  We were told we were going to stay in the Mission home until this week because President Kretly was up in Beira for the organization of the second stake in the country.  This meant we spent a lot of time in the office.  Basically we studied a lot and it was similar to the MTC while we caught up to local time and waited to recieve our first assignments.  I was able to go out on a split and teach a family my first day out here though, and it was a special experience  because we were able to commit a family to baptism.  I couldn't follow the Portuguese super well, but I was able to teach a lot more than I anticipated, and It was amazing to watch real people accept the first step in their salvation.  That same night I got to ride in a REAL chappa(an oversized minivan with about 30 people jammed inside).  It was the first time I had heard any music since entering the field.  They were playing some crunk rap lil jon, and I kept laughing to myself because the Africans listen to the same music as black americans.  I do not mean that to be racist I promise!!!!   One of the biggest things you notice here is the Poverty.  It rages through the country, but it is amazing to see how happy all of the people are, it is beyond inspiring, and everyone is so humble and willing to listen to us.  We went out by the mission home on friday contacting and in two hours I was able to get 9 contacts.  The work is progressing so strong here and I am so excited that the Lord chose me to be a part of it.  We are in a special time here in Mozambique, they just had their first two stakes organized this year, and the church is booming.  Everyone is so funny because they just love talking to us.  Our president has set aside a designation for a qualified contact which we are supposed to have 5 a day as a companionship.  It is basically a Man with a family who believes in Jesus and is interested.  I find it funny though because as we talk to people, they will say they are Muslim and then we ask if they believe in Jesus, they almost always responds, ÖH YEAH, I LOVE JESUS."   It is kind of stupid I guess, but it makes me laugh.  We went to Church on sunday, and I am just conviced that the Portuguese changes on a daily basis, haha.  I will learn it someday, along with chingana, the local dialect.  This morning I got my assignment for the transfer, and I am serving in a place called T3, it is right by Maputo, and my trainer is Elder Keck.  I just barely got here, and so I haven't been able to get a picture but I will send one next week.  Elder Keck seems super cool though, and I am super excited to work with him.  It is hot here, it feels like a sauna in this cafe, but I will get used to it, haha.  I can't think of much more to say, but thank you and I love you. Please keep praying for us, we need it.

Com Amor,
Elder Anthony Holt
A few other things he said:
 I am sleeping under a mosquito net, so that is cool.  I am still getting adjusted to time.  Don't tell me to much about conference, we won't be able to watch it for like a month until the dvds get here, and I don't want you to spoil anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment